Skip to main content

Stilling the Mind - Similarity of Assagioli and Sri Aurobindo's Prison Experiences

In an earlier post of April 1 on Freedom in Jail, we studied Roberto Assagioli's experience of "The Stilling of the Mind". (Roberto Assagioli intended that his “prison diary” might become an autobiographical account of the time he spent in Regina Coeli prison). 


Today from his prison tales of Alipore jail (which he wrote in an Indian Bengali language) we study how Sri Aurobindo stilled his mind and note how similar were their experiences -  


"I have already described my mental state on the first day of solitary confinement. The first few days in solitary confinement were spent without books or any external aids for passing time. 


This period provided adequate opportunity to appreciate the effects of solitary confinement. I gained an insight into the causes leading to the degeneration of even strong and firm intellects in such conditions and the rapid loss of sanity that occurs subsequently.


I realized Gods Infinite Compassion in such a state and the rare opening it creates for an union with Him. Before imprisonment, I would meditate for an hour each in the morning and evening. In my prison-cell, as there was nothing else to keep me occupied, I attempted to meditate for longer periods. But it was not easy, especially for one who is unaccustomed, to master the restless human mind, pulled so easily in a hundred different directions, and keep it in a meditative state, under reasonable control and focused for extended periods. 



I could manage to concentrate for an hour and half or sometimes two hours at a stretch; beyond that the mind would rebel and the body would become numb. Initially the mind was full of thoughts of all kinds. Later on, the objectlessness and insufferable futility of thoughts arising in a void of human interaction, caused the mind to gradually lose its capacity to think. Then I fell into a condition where it seemed that a hundred indistinct ideas were circling the mind but were barred from entering it; the few that did enter, sank without a trace in the utter silence of a thoughtless mind. I experienced intense mental agony in this uncertain, helpless state. I sought mental solace and respite for the distressed brain in the beauty of nature - but the solitary tree, the tiny blue slice of visible sky and the joyless prison-scenes did not alleviate the prevalent condition for long. I looked at the wall. The lifeless blank surface of the wall made the mind feel more hopeless than ever and agonizing over the present state of imprisonment, it throbbed restlessly in the cranium. I tried to meditate but could not; instead the intense but failed attempt worsened



However I was yet to find the means to fill the long vacant hours. I tried to argue with myself, even forced myself to reflect; but with every passing day the mind grew yet more rebellious, as if crying desperately for succour. Time seemed to weigh heavily upon the mind and it began to crumble beneath this burden, unable even to break free for a moment's respite - it was as if one were being strangled by an enemy in a nightmare but had no power to move one's limbs. I was amazed at this condition! It is true that I was not inclined to remain idle or without activity; still I have spent long hours in solitary musings. How could the mind then suddenly become so weak that the solitude of but a few days was causing such agitation? I thought to myself: perhaps there is a world of difference between voluntary solitude and solitary confinement. It is one thing to enjoy solitude at home, but to be compelled into solitary confinement in a prison was quite another matter.


According to a proverb, one who can bear solitude is either a god or a brute; it is beyond the capability of mere mortals. Although my belief in this proverb was previously limited, I could now see the truth inherent in it; I realized that it was difficult for even yogic aspirants to bear solitude. I recalled the dreadful fate of the Italian regicide, Bresci. The judges instead of passing the death-sentence, gave him seven years of solitary imprisonment. Bresci became insane even before a year had passed. But he did endure for that long! Was my mental strength going to last only this far? I could not understand then that God was but toying with my mind and actually teaching me some necessary lessons, in the guise of this play. 


First, He gave me an insight into the mental process that impels a prisoner towards insanity in solitary confinement, and exposing the inhuman cruelty inherent in this manner of punishment, turned me into a staunch opponent of the European prison-system. 


His second purpose was also revealed to me: by thus exposing the mind's weakness to itself, He wanted to remove the flaw for ever. An aspirant to the yogic state must be equal to the company of men or solitude. In reality, this weakness did disappear completely in a very short time; and I felt as if the mental poise would remain undisturbed even if I were to remain in solitary confinement for ten years at a stretch. The Mangalamaya (All-Good) ensured that apparent evil was but a passage to a greater good. 


His third purpose was to teach me that my yoga would not proceed on the strength of personal effort, but an absolute faith and complete self-surrender would be the means to attain perfection in yoga; the Supreme Grace would grant whatever power, realisation or joy it deems fit in its Supreme Vision and to assimilate and utilise these for His work should be the sole aim of my yogic endeavours.


The suffering caused in this manner by mental inactivity continued for a few days. One afternoon as I was reflecting, there was an endless flow of thought- streams; suddenly these thoughts grew so uncontrolled and incoherent that I felt the mind was about to lose its power to regulate them. Afterwards when I returned to the normal state, I realized that though the mental control had ceased, the intelligence itself did not cease or get corrupted; it was as if quietly observing this wondrous process. But overcome by the fear of losing my sanity at the time, I had failed to notice this. I called upon God with intensity, praying fervently for Him to preserve my sanity. That very moment, a great peace descended upon my mind and heart, a cooling sensation spread over my entire body and the restless mind became relaxed and happy - I had never experienced such a joyful state in this life. Just as a child lies on the lap of his mother, secure and fearless; so I lay on the lap of the World-Mother. From that very day, all my suffering in prison ceased. After this I experienced various conditions: restlessness in detention, mental unease caused by lack of activity and solitary confinement, physical suffering or illness and stages of despair in the process of yoga; but the power that God had poured into my inner being in that one moment was such that the arrival and departure of sorrow did not leave the slightest trace in the mind. The intelligence was able to draw strength and joy from the sorrow itself and annul the suffering of the mind. The hardships became as if drops of water on a lily."


Attached images are from his prison cells and court room trial. (From the book "Sri Aurobindo Prison Tales)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Albert Einstein on Intuition

  Albert Einstein and Rabindranath Tagore In Berlin , Germany - Some selected quotes and thoughts of Albert Einstein on intuition - The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. We will not solve the problems of the world from the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. More than anything else, this new century demands new thinking: We must change our materially based analyses of the world around us to include broader, more multidimensional perspectives.  I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.  The intellect has little to do on the road to discovery. There comes a leap in consciousness, call it Intuition or what you will, the solu

More on Synthesis

 Again we shall contemplate on a few more words on the wisdom of synthesis (navigating the "narrow razor-edged Path" between duality or the "noble middle path" of Buddha) from our beloved DK. However I wish to emphasize that Djwal Khul and Alice Bailey demonstrated practical (not just theoretically) synthesis. For instance Alice Bailey being born in the west was open enough to acknowledge and bring forth teachings from a far wiser eastern/oriental master Djwal Khul. She could both surrender herself (a difficult quality to develop for the western concrete mind with its overemphasis on freedom) and at the same time was careful enough to guard herself against foolish blind devotion (a vice of oriental masses). Another disciple who demonstrated practical synthesis was Blavatsky (synthesis of religions). She established Theosophical society headquarters in the west and soon shifted it to the east although she worked and died for the cause of theosophy in the west. One mo

What is a seed-thought ?

 One of my friends questioned me: What is a seed-thought ? This post attempts to throw some light with example, on the concept of a seed-thought. Here is how we define it: "A seed-thought is simply a thought-form or a phrase or symbolic words which conceal a fundamental truth and acts as a seed that sprouts in a contemplative meditation (meditation with a seed) revealing that truth." A Seed-thought being a (thought-)form, we need to look also the broader concept of "form as a symbol", of which a seed-thought is just an example. Earlier we tabulated so many example of trinities. "Purpose - Idea - Form" is one such trinity of symbol. What this means is that every symbol has three interpretations - as a from it is an expression of some underlying idea. This idea has behind it, in its turn, a deeper underlying purpose. These three interpretations of a symbol can be summarized as: 1. Exoteric interpretation:  Based on its objective utility and upon the nature o